Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ggureomi News

It's been about a week since my September delivery came in, but I'm still neck-deep in fantastic organic food.  Here's what was in the box:




1) Ten antibiotic-free, fertilized eggs from Bo-eun, Chungcheongbuk-do
2) 340g of softish tofu, made from domestic beans.  No preservatives, antifoaming agents, or emulsifiers.
3) Pesticide-free lotus root from Dalseong, right here in Daegu!
4) 300g "Vitaplus" crisp peppers from Cheongju.
5) 1kg "pumpkin sweet potatoes" (as opposed to "chestnut sweet potatoes") from Haenam, Jeollanam-do. 
6)  300g pesticide-free bean sprouts
7)  800g pesticide-free Korean apples

All for 30k a month!

I've been enjoying the apples as-is (or maybe as-are), steaming batches of sweet potatoes in advance and having some ready for quick breakfasts, eating the peppers raw with Ssamjang, and boiling the bean sprouts together with noodles before adding them to a tofu/veg/egg stir fry to make some fantastic, domestic pad Thai.

And, I'm proud to post Daegu Green Living's first-ever fan/friend contribution.  This one comes from Margaret, who recently received her first Ggureomi:

"I got my first box yesterday! And cooked with some of the ingredients once I got home.  So here's what I made with some recipes and pictures...

"What I was happiest to see in the box was lotus root, since I've never cooked with it before. So i decided to make a quiche yesterday, using some of the eggs, peppers (which after trying them are definitely my favourite from the box) and lotus root.



Butter crust recipe (small batch):
1 cup of flour
1/3 cup of butter
2 or so tablespoons of cold water.
I combined the flour and butter and added water until it started holding together. then chilled it in the fridge.

Cream-less quiche recipe:

egg mixture:
3 eggs
1 cup milk
salt and pepper

Vegetable mixture:
peppers
mushrooms
onions
garlic
lotus root

To prep the lotus root, I peeled it, washed it and then sliced it. As I sliced it I put the slices in a bowl of water with some vinegar added so they wouldn't start to brown.

I chopped up the onions, mushrooms, garlic and lotus root and cooked them for about 5 minutes in a frying pan.Then added the peppers and cooked for a bit more. I rolled out the chilled dough, and cut out and filled a 6 cup muffin tray and 1 aluminum tray with dough. I scooped in the vegetables and then poured in the egg mixture and baked them for about 30-40 minutes on 175. I'm not a big fan of eggs, so I added a lot of vegetables and used less egg mixture. They turned out great, to have at dinner with sides, or great the next day as a quick breakfast.



Looks fantastic!  And, there's more good news: Heuksalim is so happy that foreigners are enjoying the Ggureomi (so far about fifteen individuals, getting a total of 40 or so boxes a month) that they're cutting us a special deal.  Anyone who signs up to receive once-monthly Ggureomi shipments at the regular price of 30,000 won/month will automatically receive a 5,000 won discount if they stick with the program for more than 3 months.  This deal is available only to those who sign up through Daegu Green Living!  Please share the news!

1 comment:

  1. YES! I'm in and I finally got a phone yesterday! Will be send an email soon... :)

    ReplyDelete