Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Put This On Your Front Door (If You'd Like)

Few things annoy me more than coming home to find a giant newspaper-sized HomePlus advertisement or a book of fried chicken restaurants attached to my door.  Thanks but no thanks!  Sure, I could just leave them there, and eventually the cleaning ajumma would take care of them.  But would she recycle them?  Given how glossy they are, could she if she wanted to?  And even if she did, how about the fact that if you do a thorough and honest lifecycle assessment of just about any product, you find out that recycling can reduce the total damage done by about one percent, and that the other 99 percent comes from harvesting, processing, and transporting all the raw materials, building and operating the machines and devices that do so, and disposing of the wastes that result from those processes. The item itself is just the tip of the iceberg.  There's a reason that Reduce and Reuse both come before Recycle.

So, I made up a little sign that said "Please don't leave any advertisements."  It seems to have been working nicely, except, I came home yesterday to find yet another HomePlus monstrosity sitting atop my bicycle.  I checked my translation and realized I had written "Please don't stick on any advertisements" in Korean.  I've gotta give whoever left the ad credit for reading the sign, I suppose.

Anyway, here's Version 2.0.  It's a very, very, very, very tiny thing, but hey, it can't hurt, can it?

...particularly not if you print it out on the back of something else^^


Thanks to my two most recent Couchsurfers, Yuma and Vineta, for telling me they liked my sign and suggesting I share it.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha. Thats awesome. If I come back, I want one... well, I guess I could make my own....duh... silly programmed desires of having "my own" new stuff

    ReplyDelete